Saturday, October 25, 2008

Race for the Cure...5K Run



So my great friend Laura e-mailed me a month or so ago, asking me to join her at the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure 5K Run...my first thought was maybe, but probably not. Since then I have been really trying to focus on running again. It was 2 years ago in June that I ran the Rock N Roll Marathon in San Diego, 26.2 miles...amazing how quick that endurance is lost! Anyway, I decided to go for it and registered for todays race. Laura and I ran great together this past week, it was a lot of fun! So once I actually dragged my butt out of bed (I am so not a morning person), I picked Laura up and we arrived at Fresno State, we really just signed up for this to run, not for the cause. We decided to walk around, and approached the table with the pink "In Celebration of" and "In Memory of" papers which you can write on and attach to your shirts. I though of my grandmother, my Pama Astri, who was my maternal grandmother...she had breast cancer at a fairly young age...survived for many years, but the cancer eventually caught up with her again. I was 17 years old when I lost her! I wrote her name on that paper, and with tears in my eyes decided that I was doing this for a cause...in my Pama's memory!! We had a blast doing this together...and I can't wait until the two of us sign up for the next one. Our goal is to try to do something every 6-8 weeks!! We rock!!

1 comment:

Laura said...

You did an awesome job running! I am proud of you! Thanks for being my friend and running partner....here's to many more races.